Car Show Central -- Part 1 - Mobile Detail Kit - Great PlainZ Modern Mopars
Great PlainZ Modern Mopars  

Go Back   Great PlainZ Modern Mopars > MOPAR CLUB - Regional Chapters! > MISSOURI MODERN MOPARS > GATEWAY CHAPTER
Notices

Old 03-28-2014, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Charger RT Max
Chapter: St. Louis, MO
Default Car Show Central -- Part 1 - Mobile Detail Kit

Mobile detail kit (This will be a LONG post)ó

Last night Andrew asked me what I carry with me in my ďdetail kitĒ. Seems like a simple question right? Well the short and simple answer is, dang near everything I use at home. But thatís really not very helpful is it. So I thought Iíd put together a detailed list of everything I usually keep in my car. I am including some links for the products I have right now, but it should be noted these are not the only places to get these! My favorite vendors right now are:
**http://www.adamspolishes.com
**http://www.chemicalguys.com/
and I just ordered a few rags from this one that I have high hopes for
** http://www.theragcompany.com/

First things first, no one wants all these bottles and rags rolling around, so you need something to carry it all in. for a detail bag Iíve found a 12Ē tool tote works perfect. Regular price is around $12, but you can catch them on sale from time to time for $9 or less. I like the Craftsman:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-12-in...8&blockType=G8

Rags and applicators:
***6-12 premium microfiber towels
*** 1 Large microfiber for drying
*** 2 Waffle weave towels for waterless wash
*** 2 glass microfiber towels from adams (better than any paper towel or news paper) http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-422-a...ng-towels.aspx
***Round foam applicator for tires http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-448-a...pplicator.aspx
***Block foam applicator for other plastics and trim http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-43-ad...pplicator.aspx

Exterior:
***Clay bar ó I prefer Meguiarís , Iíve used Adams and didnít care for the consistency of their clay.
***Detail Spray ó Adamís polishes. This works far better than any of the others Iíve tried, although I have ordered a Chemical guys product to try. Adamís goes on light, wipes off easy and leaves a superior shine when compared to other local products Iíve tried. http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-870-a...ail-spray.aspx
***Waterless Wash - Adam's Waterless Wash, Frankly I am on the fence on this. When I first got it I loved it. Great for a quick clean somewhere between detail spray and a full wash. But I ended up with some swirl I did not have before ... Was it the waterless wash, or the user? I dunno. I still use it, but much less than I used to. http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-440-a...-car-wash.aspx
***Wax ó Currently I use adams ďAmericana Premium Paste WaxĒ although I am unable to find just the wax for sale on their site . I have long intended to try buttery wet wax, and will likely go with Chemical guys when I get low.
***Tires and Trim ó Adams VRT does an AMAZING job on tires vinyl and rubber. Goes on easy, wipes of any paint easy and DOES NOT sling. I really really like this stuff! Although I have ordered and will soon be trying a like chemical guys product. http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-512-a...-dressing.aspx
***Wheel wells and under carriage ó Meguiarís Hot Shine Foam. picked it up at Walmart, simple spray on and wipe off. I tried the fancy invisible undercarriage spray and did not care for it. Now I stick to cheap and easy. Itís important to clean these areas for a show, but spending big bucks on premium products to clean a wheel well is a waste in my opinionÖ
***Glass Cleaner ó Invisible Glass, Iíve used the premium Adam's glass cleaner, and it went on great, wiped off easy, and looked awesome for a few days, but after a week I had strange streaks. Why, I have no idea! So I went back to my Walmart aerosol. It takes a bit more work to wipe down, but I have a spotless windshield for weeks+.
***Glass Sealant ó RainX, Here Iíve simply stuck with what has always worked. The 7oz squirt bottle of RainX has always done a great job for me, so Iíve stayed with it.

Interior:
***Glass ó see above, Invisible Glass
*** Leather ó I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Meguiarís Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner in the pump bottle (Walmart again). I find this stuff works for weeks and even months. I carry a bottle in the event of a spot clean, but rarely use it at a show.
*** Carpets ó Just in case I find a stain, I like the simple Turtle Wax Oxy Interior1 cleaner and stain remover. It comes in a green can with a yellow brush head built in. For little jobs this is my go to. For a big job, I pull out my steam cleaner at home
*** Plastics, Trim and Dash ó Meguiarís Supreme Shine Wipes.

Extras:
***Lint roller ó Lint roller you say? WHY? Well how many times did you vacuum the carpet spotless to get to the show and you tracked in a few rocks or leaves or whatever? sure you can pull the floor mat and wipe it off, or pick the stuff out, but Iíve found that a lint roller will often get those carpets back to perfect with the least effort at the show. At home I just grab the shop vac again
***Sun Screen ó It never fails that the first nice sunny show of the year someone gets a sunburn, usually me! I now always carry a bottle of sun screen in my kit (trick is remembering to use it!)
***Hand sanitizer ó nice to have if there is no sink and you want to eatÖ
***Trash Bags ó I carry a few empty Walmart bags and sometimes a kitchen size trash bag or two. If trash cans are not present, or convenient, itís nice to have a place for you and your gout to put trash. Also handy if you have kids, that occasionally decide they are sick and need a place to puke!
***California Duster ó The only thing that doesn't fit into my handy little bag. I do carry a full size California duster for touchups. HINT> Donít ever throw one in the washer, it will ruin it. Fact is, the dirtier they are, the better they work. Donít know why, but itís true!

Thatís my mobile kit. Almost always have it in the trunk of my Charger, and it will clean up 99% of anything I need it to when out and away from the house. This is what works for me, if you have products that work great for you feel free to comment!

2011 Tungsten Charger RT Max, RWD
85mm TB, Frankentake IV CAI, BT Catch Can, 3G Half Covers, Tint / Stripes, Painted Calipers, Lockpick C8 -- Hemi Registry #1672

(Coming very soon, Danko 70 style grill and front spoiler, 70 Style Tail Stripe , Tail Light Blackout :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Charger RT Max
Chapter: St. Louis, MO

I am going to make this into a series! It'll show up on Facebook, as the above post did, and may end up on other enthusiast sites as well . I am going to reach out to some other folks I know in the community to help with a few articles, one of which is already in the works. I figure this is a way to share a bit of the experience I have from the past few years, and reach out to others that have been successful and share what they have learned too. GPMM and the friends I've made along the way have been AMAZING, and there has ALWAYS been an answer to any questions I've asked, but sometime I just didn't know what to ask. It's my hope that this series of articles helps fill that gap a bit. Not only can we share with each other what works for us, but we can also lay down a roadmap of sorts to those who are new to the hobby!

While I am sure this list will grow, This will be a limited run. Here are the articles I have in mind thus far (in no particular order):

1. Car Show Displays -- What makes an awesome display
*Ray Chance has agreed to help with this one and I am VERY excited! anyone that has ever seen his AWESOME SRT10 Ram and display will understand why!

02. Mobile Emergency Kit -- What to carry with you
03. Car Show Camps -- Must have and nice to have
04. Detailing -- Supplies and and Tricks
05. Paint Correction -- Tools and How To
06. Car Show Judging (modern) -- What they look for
07. Auto Photography -- How to take killer pictures of your ride
08. Automotive Lighting -- Products and advice
09. Mobile Audio -- Products and advice
10. Mobile Video -- Products and advice

2011 Tungsten Charger RT Max, RWD
85mm TB, Frankentake IV CAI, BT Catch Can, 3G Half Covers, Tint / Stripes, Painted Calipers, Lockpick C8 -- Hemi Registry #1672

(Coming very soon, Danko 70 style grill and front spoiler, 70 Style Tail Stripe , Tail Light Blackout :-)

Last edited by 2Cav; 03-28-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Great PlainZ Modern Mopars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle?
What Mopar vehicle do you own?
Chapter Affiliation?
Which Chapter do you belong to? Select from the list!
Why do you want to join GPMM?
Please give us the reason you would like to join our club. This information will be reviewed, and verified with the person who referred you. Then your membership will be approved. If it can not be verified, your account will be deleted. Do not forget to enter the member name of the person who referred you to DSM below!
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.