Hardwiring in your radar detector is one of the easiest and best mods ever.
NOTHING is uglier than that silly cord hanging all over the place... Nothing is more rewarding than hiding that junk and wiring into ACC power so when you start your car you are protected!
This will take the average DIYer about an hour give or take. It took me an hour including the time to identify ground and ACC wires with a multimeter. But then again, I've done this maybe 10 times on other models I've owned and have a fair amount of 12v stereo install experience.
And last note before we begin, please forgive the pictures, they are just iPhone snaps... :-(
Supplies and tools:
- a flash light or trouble light,
- wire cutters / side cutters
- trim tool
- Radar detector (fuzz buster)
- hardwire kit
- scotch lock (wire tap) x2
1. Gather up your tools and crawl into the passenger side of your modern 2nd Gen Charger.
2. Starting at the top of the A Pillar cover, and with a moderate amount of steady force, pull the A pillar cover out toward the rear drivers side.
note-- there are 3 clips and a strap that hold the cover in place work your way from top to bottom until all three clips are undone
3. To completely remove the cover you will also have to remove the strap. Simply depress the button near the bottom of the bracket and again as it pass through the center of the bracket and it will slide right out.
4. Using the handy trim tool, pull the plug out of it's mounting hole at the bottom of the pillar.
5. There is plenty of slack on the plug to pull it out some and have room to work on it.
6. On my 11 RT Max, I found that the pink wire with white tracer was ACC power (Accessory power. It is power that is on when your ignition is in the Accessory or On position), and the larger black wire with a green tracer was ground.
note-- the pink wire was only found on the input side of the plug, so I tapped pink on input side and black on the output side:
and ground tap--
7. Mount your radar detector where you want it.
(This is how I have mine)
8. Plug in your radar detector and test to make sure everything is working as it should (turn on the car and the device) Make sure with the car in ACC or On positions the radar detector is on, and with the car off, it is also off.
9. Starting from the radar detector, route your cable up under the headliner back to the A Pillar. (you might want to leave just a little slack, to make your life easier if you ever reposition or take out your device in a public parking...
10. Bundle any excess wire and clip it into the A Pillar wire clips
11. To make reinstallation easier, remove the weather strip from the pinch weld in the area where the A Pillar goes (don't worry, it is easy to reinstall)
12. Reinsert the A Pillar cover into the slots at the bottom of the pillar.
13. Reinsert the retention strap into it's bracket near the top
14. being very careful to line up the clips, press the cover back onto the A Pillar starting at the bottom moving back to the top.
15. Reinstall the weather striping on the pinch weld by simply pressing it back into place.
16. Enjoy a cold beer and the pride that can only be yours for doing a fine job yourself, and congrats on avoiding those pesky radars!
If you need any help, feel free to PM me and or reply to this thread, be happy to do what I can!
Jeff / 2Cav