Brakes...2 questions - Great PlainZ Modern Mopars
Great PlainZ Modern Mopars  

Go Back   Great PlainZ Modern Mopars > MOPAR CLUB - MOD ZONE > MOPAR How To?
Notices

Old 06-18-2012, 01:53 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Daytona R/T
Chapter: Oklahoma City, OK
Default Brakes...2 questions

I've got a serious rattle in my passenger front wheel. My friend said it was the brake caliper bracket, so we changed it. A month later it's rattling again. Any idea what it could be? Also, I just changed rotors and pads last year.

Question two: My plan is to have the rotor turned, replace the pads and replace the caliper bracket again. I can take it all apart no problem but do you guys have any input on putting it back together? What do I need to make sure that I don't miss? I would just volunteer him to do it but he's on vacation this week and I need to get it done ASAP because I'm tired of it sounding like my wheel is going to fall off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Sick Fish

Vehicle: 'Cuda in progress

I would get your tie rods checked.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:07 PM

Vehicle: Sublime Daytona
Chapter: Tulsa. OK

^ this. I had that issue in my last Charger also have them look at the sway bar bushings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 PM

Vehicle: 11 R/T
Chapter: St. Louis, MO

Im not sure if the brake setups on the cars are anything like the dodge rams, but when I had my dodge ram apart I had these little metal type pieces that were basically sandwiched in between the caliper and pads mount together......maybe its missing, or loose, that is if it is there to begin with? lol
Id raise the car up and and check your tie rod ends, and see if your hubs are loose, have someone turn the wheel and see if you have a thrown belt in the tire....that's what I would do.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM

Vehicle: There's a list :)

Check tie rods, inner and outer ball joints, an tension struts. Sounds like you have the gift of "front end clunk" this suspension set up likes to give. By all means, don't rule out the brakes either though.
2011 Ram 2500 4X4
Old 06-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Well my friend that helped me last time works at Firestone, he went over all of the suspension parts because that was my first guess. The only think clinking was that bracket. Some piece of it was moving that shouldn't have been.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:29 PM
God of Thunder

Vehicle: 2012 SuperBee
Chapter: Lawton, OK
Send a message via AIM to ORNOT2B Send a message via MSN to ORNOT2B

I have some rotors that I changed out just for the upgrade. If you need them let me know. Ill bring them up to the track with me on Friday night
Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 2007 Superbee
Chapter: Lawton, OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Girl View Post
I've got a serious rattle in my passenger front wheel. My friend said it was the brake caliper bracket, so we changed it. A month later it's rattling again. Any idea what it could be? Also, I just changed rotors and pads last year.

Question two: My plan is to have the rotor turned, replace the pads and replace the caliper bracket again. I can take it all apart no problem but do you guys have any input on putting it back together? What do I need to make sure that I don't miss? I would just volunteer him to do it but he's on vacation this week and I need to get it done ASAP because I'm tired of it sounding like my wheel is going to fall off.
Is the rattle consistently present when you are driving or only when you are braking? Do you feel a shudder or some shaking in the steering when you brake? When you jack up that side of the car, can you turn the wheel and recreate the noise? If the rattle started after the brake job, I'd check the bolts that were involved in the brake job first. If you feel a shudder under braking, it could be a bushing but I'd be surprised since the car isn't that old.
426 stroker, ProCharger F1C, 150 N20, Arrington Stage 4 heads, Arrington 90MM TB, 90lb injectors, Modern Performance Stage 3 manifold, Complete aftermarket fuel system. Paramount High Torque Capacity NAG1 with Paramount flexplate and torque converter. DSS 1500hp halfshafts.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Thanks for the offer Back N Black, I won't be at the track for a while. I've been busy helping my boyfriend put his new set up together on his truck. I should be fine on the rotors anyways.

The rattle started WAY after I did the brakes on it. It's the caliper bracket rattling. You can check out every other part up there and that's the one that makes noise. I just don't get what's causing it to "break."
Old 06-24-2012, 03:14 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Challenger
Chapter: Fort Smith, AR.

I would check the mounting holes that the caliper bolts to, mabye they are partially stripped out or crossthreaded. If you are abosultely positive the caliper bracket is the noise then I don't see what else it could be. Food for thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Great PlainZ Modern Mopars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle?
What Mopar vehicle do you own?
Chapter Affiliation?
Which Chapter do you belong to? Select from the list!
Why do you want to join GPMM?
Please give us the reason you would like to join our club. This information will be reviewed, and verified with the person who referred you. Then your membership will be approved. If it can not be verified, your account will be deleted. Do not forget to enter the member name of the person who referred you to DSM below!
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.