Newly released MOPAR Performance TCM install - Great PlainZ Modern Mopars
Great PlainZ Modern Mopars  

Go Back   Great PlainZ Modern Mopars > MOPAR CLUB - MOD ZONE > MOPAR How To?
Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 12:05 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Superbee
Chapter: Lawton, OK
Default Newly released MOPAR Performance TCM install

I installed the new Transmission Control Module (TCM) earlier today and wanted to give everyone who is on the fence about this upgrade a perspective on how easy this can be done.

Bottom line: Great/cheap bolt on performance upgrade that doesn't take a lot of effort or mechanical skill to install and adapt. You do need to be very careful when adapting the unit to your car because you will be coasting and stopping your car several times during the process. Make sure you find an isolated stretch of open highway with minimual traffic.

First to answer some of the usual questions: What is a TCM and what does it do for me?

The TCM receives input from your transmission and controls how and when your transmission shifts.

The MOPAR performance TCM is basically a "shift kit" in module form and maximizes shift points which helps get a little more power transferred to the ground. While in manual mode, the new TCM allows you to take the car above the factory set redline limit so you can shift it yourself. This is a big time advantage for those of us with large displacement engines and power adders.

FYI: TCM is located under and to the left of your steering column behind the big plastic piece that is just under your steering wheel

Okay the install: Disclaimer..I'm only using the steps that I used and not verbatum from the guide because a couple of the steps were either not needed or a step wasn't included in the original instructions.

Tools required: (I simulated someone without the cool tools (air) to show how long it would take and see what troubles one would run into without having speciality tools.)

1. 6 inch #2 Phillips (crosstip) screw driver and a T30 torx head screw driver.
My car had both types for some reason (vendor installed maybe) but you can check after you get the trim covers off but you'll need either one or both.

2. 10mm open/combination wrench or 10mm socket/rachet...small extension can come in handy but not needed.

Okay, Task 1...Getting to the old TCM

Step one: Stop driving car...LOL...had to be a smart butt and throw that in. OK

FYI: Install time will be about 15-20 minutes for those challenged by mechanical work and about 10 minutes for wrenchers.

Step one: Disconnect negative (-) black terminal from your battery using your 10mm wrench or socket. Easy stuff

Step two: Remove the plastic cowling and sill trim. No tools needed..Cowling trim is the piece that everyone scratchs with their foot when they get in the car that is located between the carpet and door weatherstrip along the floor...The sill trim is about 12 inches long and about one inch wide located on the left side between your dash and the door weatherstrip. Instructions want you to use a trim tool or other large flat tool to pull them up....You can do this with your hands..There are only a few clips holding them in place so you can pop them off easily without hurting anything.

Step three: Removing the plastic from under the steering wheel (you'll need your screw drivers)...This is the piece that has your trunk open button. There are three screws..Two along the bottom of the piece..One is just right of your "open hood" handle..you'll see the other 12inches to the right. The third screw was hidden under the sill trim piece on the left side of dash. Once you have these screws off, pull off the piece...It is just clipped so just pop it off with your hands.. After you pull it off, disconnect the trunk open switch from the wiring harness using your hands..

Step 4: This wasn't included in the instructions but makes life a little easier. (10mm wrench or socket needed)

After you have the plastic removed from under the steering wheel, there is a metal plate that is held in place with four 10mm bolts...Pull the plate off

Disclaimer: Instructions tell you to disconnect the emergency brake release cable which didn't make sense to me because I have easy access now and didn't need to do it...Might be neccessary for other models but not for mine.

Step 5: Remove TCM (you'll need the screwdrivers again)

You will have easy access to your TCM now. Unplug the two connectors from the TCM and remove the two screws holding it in place.

Install by reversing the process.

Task 2: TCM Adaptation procedure (takes about 30 minutes if you take your time)

FYI: You can drive your car now but "DO NOT GO WOT".

Failure to follow the instructions can turn your new unit into a paper weight sooooo "follow the instructions".

Safety notice: You will have to coast your car down from 5th to 3rd gear 4 to 5 times then from a stop, accelerate through all the gears without going over 1800 RPM....This can be dangerous soooooo find yourself a open stretch of road and watch your mirrors to ensure no one runs over you.

I'll just give you the basic run down of what needs to happen but "follow the instructions"

1. Get up to speed then coast down from 5th to 4th to 3rd gear four or five times....I did it five times just because I was paranoid that I might mess up. I thought this would be the easy part but my car likes to stay at 40 MPH unless I drag the brake a little.

2. From a dead stop, accelerate thru the gears "WITHOUT" going over 1800 RPM four to five times.....I thought this would be hard to do with my car but wasn't a problem.

The TCM updates every 10 minutes so after you go thru the motions listed in the instructions...cruise around for 10 minutes..

The TCM will continually learn your driving habits and they say it will actually get better as you put some miles on your car.

Since the install, I've driven a few miles in traffic and this thing is quite an improvement on the one I was running before. Shifts fine in traffic but snaps quick when I let the reins loose.

I put a few pics to show locations and the layout of some of the clips to give you an idea on where to look. I tried to get a good shot of the TCM mounted in the car but me and my phone couldn't do a good job.

Hope you find this at least partially informative and helps you make a decision when you start thinking about performance upgrades.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 603.jpg (93.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 607.jpg (91.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 604.jpg (98.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 606.jpg (94.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 602.jpg (91.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 608.jpg (87.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 609.jpg (97.9 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 12:18 AM

Vehicle: '07 Charger R/T
Chapter: Little Rock, AR
Send a message via Yahoo to bill440cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee576 View Post
I installed the new Transmission Control Module (TCM) earlier today and wanted to give everyone who is on the fence about this upgrade a perspective on how easy this can be done.

Bottom line: Great/cheap bolt on performance upgrade that doesn't take a lot of effort or mechanical skill to install and adapt. You do need to be very careful when adapting the unit to your car because you will be coasting and stopping your car several times during the process. Make sure you find an isolated stretch of open highway with minimual traffic.

First to answer some of the usual questions: What is a TCM and what does it do for me?

The TCM receives input from your transmission and controls how and when your transmission shifts.

The MOPAR performance TCM is basically a "shift kit" in module form and maximizes shift points which helps get a little more power transferred to the ground. While in manual mode, the new TCM allows you to take the car above the factory set redline limit so you can shift it yourself. This is a big time advantage for those of us with large displacement engines and power adders.

FYI: TCM is located under and to the left of your steering column behind the big plastic piece that is just under your steering wheel

Okay the install: Disclaimer..I'm only using the steps that I used and not verbatum from the guide because a couple of the steps were either not needed or a step wasn't included in the original instructions.

Tools required: (I simulated someone without the cool tools (air) to show how long it would take and see what troubles one would run into without having speciality tools.)

1. 6 inch #2 Phillips (crosstip) screw driver and a T30 torx head screw driver.
My car had both types for some reason (vendor installed maybe) but you can check after you get the trim covers off but you'll need either one or both.

2. 10mm open/combination wrench or 10mm socket/rachet...small extension can come in handy but not needed.

Okay, Task 1...Getting to the old TCM

Step one: Stop driving car...LOL...had to be a smart butt and throw that in. OK

FYI: Install time will be about 15-20 minutes for those challenged by mechanical work and about 10 minutes for wrenchers.

Step one: Disconnect negative (-) black terminal from your battery using your 10mm wrench or socket. Easy stuff

Step two: Remove the plastic cowling and sill trim. No tools needed..Cowling trim is the piece that everyone scratchs with their foot when they get in the car that is located between the carpet and door weatherstrip along the floor...The sill trim is about 12 inches long and about one inch wide located on the left side between your dash and the door weatherstrip. Instructions want you to use a trim tool or other large flat tool to pull them up....You can do this with your hands..There are only a few clips holding them in place so you can pop them off easily without hurting anything.

Step three: Removing the plastic from under the steering wheel (you'll need your screw drivers)...This is the piece that has your trunk open button. There are three screws..Two along the bottom of the piece..One is just right of your "open hood" handle..you'll see the other 12inches to the right. The third screw was hidden under the sill trim piece on the left side of dash. Once you have these screws off, pull off the piece...It is just clipped so just pop it off with your hands.. After you pull it off, disconnect the trunk open switch from the wiring harness using your hands..

Step 4: This wasn't included in the instructions but makes life a little easier. (10mm wrench or socket needed)

After you have the plastic removed from under the steering wheel, there is a metal plate that is held in place with four 10mm bolts...Pull the plate off

Disclaimer: Instructions tell you to disconnect the emergency brake release cable which didn't make sense to me because I have easy access now and didn't need to do it...Might be neccessary for other models but not for mine.

Step 5: Remove TCM (you'll need the screwdrivers again)

You will have easy access to your TCM now. Unplug the two connectors from the TCM and remove the two screws holding it in place.

Install by reversing the process.

Task 2: TCM Adaptation procedure (takes about 30 minutes if you take your time)

FYI: You can drive your car now but "DO NOT GO WOT".

Failure to follow the instructions can turn your new unit into a paper weight sooooo "follow the instructions".

Safety notice: You will have to coast your car down from 5th to 3rd gear 4 to 5 times then from a stop, accelerate through all the gears without going over 1800 RPM....This can be dangerous soooooo find yourself a open stretch of road and watch your mirrors to ensure no one runs over you.

I'll just give you the basic run down of what needs to happen but "follow the instructions"

1. Get up to speed then coast down from 5th to 4th to 3rd gear four or five times....I did it five times just because I was paranoid that I might mess up. I thought this would be the easy part but my car likes to stay at 40 MPH unless I drag the brake a little.

2. From a dead stop, accelerate thru the gears "WITHOUT" going over 1800 RPM four to five times.....I thought this would be hard to do with my car but wasn't a problem.

The TCM updates every 10 minutes so after you go thru the motions listed in the instructions...cruise around for 10 minutes..

The TCM will continually learn your driving habits and they say it will actually get better as you put some miles on your car.

Since the install, I've driven a few miles in traffic and this thing is quite an improvement on the one I was running before. Shifts fine in traffic but snaps quick when I let the reins loose.

I put a few pics to show locations and the layout of some of the clips to give you an idea on where to look. I tried to get a good shot of the TCM mounted in the car but me and my phone couldn't do a good job.

Hope you find this at least partially informative and helps you make a decision when you start thinking about performance upgrades.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!
Sounds cool enough. But, I didn't see where you gave the cost. What can a person expect to spend on something like this? Sounds like something I could use.

The INDIAN R/T Is In The Area!!!
[SIZE="3"][/bSIZE]Don't Forget To Show Your Support To The GPMM And Your Local Chapter! They Deserve It!
My Charger and I have something in common, we are BOTH getting alot of mileage!!!!! LOL!!
Old 12-20-2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill440cars View Post
Sounds cool enough. But, I didn't see where you gave the cost. What can a person expect to spend on something like this? Sounds like something I could use.
Dealers and most vendors are charging $339 for the SRT8 TCM and $279 for the 5.7 models.....I got mine from All USA Motorsports for $295...with shipping and handling I paid $311...The 5.7 TCM is going for $247. Here is a link to their site which includes a little write up on what to expect from it.

http://www.allusasupercenter.com/Transmission_s/85.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 03:17 AM

Vehicle: '07 Charger R/T
Send a message via Yahoo to bill440cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee576 View Post
Dealers and most vendors are charging $339 for the SRT8 TCM and $279 for the 5.7 models.....I got mine from All USA Motorsports for $295...with shipping and handling I paid $311...The 5.7 TCM is going for $247. Here is a link to their site which includes a little write up on what to expect from it.

http://www.allusasupercenter.com/Transmission_s/85.htm
I appreciate that, but when I went there, it said this

"2004-06 Charger" so what about the 2007 and up?

The INDIAN R/T Is In The Area!!!
[SIZE="3"][/bSIZE]Don't Forget To Show Your Support To The GPMM And Your Local Chapter! They Deserve It!
My Charger and I have something in common, we are BOTH getting alot of mileage!!!!! LOL!!
Old 12-20-2010, 05:10 PM

Vehicle: Avenger R/T
Chapter: Kansas City, MO

Cool! Wish they had something like this for my car, I'd definately pick one up.

Nice work on the how-to & install pics.
2008 Avenger R/T AWD - Spectre Ram Air Intake, 71mm Throttle Body, Thrush Mufflers, Zex Nitrous Kit, Summit RPM Window Switch, NGK Iridium Plugs, 180* Thermostat, Oil Catch Can, Spectre Braided Hoses, Redline Tuning QuickLIFT, Billet Oil Cap & Dipstick, Billet Shifter, Carbon Fiber Interior Trim, Custom Gauge Pod, Glowshift Wideband AFR, ASA AR7 Wheels, CM Springs, Front & Rear Strut Tower Brace, 35% Tint
Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill440cars View Post
I appreciate that, but when I went there, it said this

"2004-06 Charger" so what about the 2007 and up?
I've got a SRT8 so I used the TCM that is listed on the lower right side of that page. It doesn't list any model years so I'm going to assume its good for all SRT8s running the NAG1.

I did make a call to our local dealership and had them run the part number for the 5.7 that is listed on that link. Parts guy said they didn't have anything listed for 07 or above running the 5.7 and actually had two different part numbers for the 05 and below and another for the 06....Interesting tidbit of important information came out of the conversation. There was a note under the part numbers that said "Power Train Module must be upgraded before part can be used". Makes me wonder why none of the vendors mention this in their information or if it is truly necessary and a ploy to sell more parts. The SRT8 bunch doesn't need the PTM upgrade just the 5.7 crowd.

If this is truly correct information for 5.7 owners, then I wouldn't waste my money on two modules for the performance gains unless I was running a built tranny with an after market TC. For that money, I'd get a ported throttle body instead.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Wounded Warrior Supporter

Vehicle: RAM 1500 4X4
Chapter: Wichita, KS

Very nice writeup and explanation.
'Holy Crap ...What a Ride'
Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 PM

Vehicle: Dodge charger

wow great info! the most important thing is your feedback! was it worth it even if the car isn't modified and did you notice any difference? do you need it if you have a diablo?
Old 12-21-2010, 01:52 AM

I checked my instructions when I got home to see if there was anything written for 5.7 applications and there is a part # for 2004-09 5.7L HEMI platforms..P5155224

FYI: I also noticed a "recommended upgrade" of MOPAR's Performance Torque Converter...Part # P5153726.

There were no warnings or mention of the requirement to run the Powertrain Controller in conjunction with the TCM "except" at the end of the instructions, there is a small blocked area next to the usual disclaimer that reads:

For technical assistance regarding the MOPAR 5.7L HEMI Powertrain Controller Upgrade kit, please call toll-free 1-888-528-HEMI (528-4364).

Sooooo I decided to dig further and did some googling and found a set of instructions for the older version of the 5.7 application TCM and there is a safety note at the beginning of the instructions that reads:

Transmission Controller Upgrade Components:
• P5153332 Performance Transmission Control Module (TCM)
• Installation Sheet
Recommended Upgrades:
• P5153331 2004 - 2005 Powertrain Controller Upgrade
(OR P5153450 2006 Powertrain Controller Upgrade)
• P5153570 Performance Camshaft & Lifters Kit
• 05174299AA Performance Torque Converter
SPECIAL NOTE:
POWERTRAIN CONTROLLER UPGRADE
The MOPAR Transmission Controller Upgrade shift schedule has higher red-line RPM shifts (accelerator pedal fully depressed) than the production shift schedule. To support this performance shift schedule the vehicle MUST be equipped with the MOPAR Powertrain Controller Upgrade.
FAILURE TO INSTALL THE MOPAR POWERTRAIN CONTROLLER UPGRADE WILL PREVENT THE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FROM UP-SHIFTING AT FULLY DEPRESSED ACCELERATOR PEDAL DRIVING CONDITION (WOT).

Now remember, this statement is on the instructions for the old 5.7 TCM upgrade but NOT on the new one....I'm going to call the "1-888-what the heck is the truth" phone number tomorrow morning to see what they say to bring some clarity for the 5.7 crowd.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabur View Post
wow great info! the most important thing is your feedback! was it worth it even if the car isn't modified and did you notice any difference? do you need it if you have a diablo?
You definitely can feel the difference in the "seat of the pants" and you don't need any type of tuning module to make this unit work...The new TCMs are "plug and play" but you do need to "adapt" the unit which I mentioned in the big ol write up. Takes some time but not to bad considering what it'll do for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Great PlainZ Modern Mopars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle?
What Mopar vehicle do you own?
Chapter Affiliation?
Which Chapter do you belong to? Select from the list!
Why do you want to join GPMM?
Please give us the reason you would like to join our club. This information will be reviewed, and verified with the person who referred you. Then your membership will be approved. If it can not be verified, your account will be deleted. Do not forget to enter the member name of the person who referred you to DSM below!
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.