How About Some Tips On Detailing? - Great PlainZ Modern Mopars
Great PlainZ Modern Mopars  

Go Back   Great PlainZ Modern Mopars > MOPAR CLUB - MOD ZONE > MOPAR How To?
Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 08:28 PM

Vehicle: '07 Charger R/T
Chapter: Little Rock, AR
Send a message via Yahoo to bill440cars
Default How About Some Tips On Detailing?

Surely I'm not the only one who would appreciate some tips (not to disclose some deep protected secrets) on detailing, like for car shows and such. I mean, I wash the car, wiped it down real well, clean the windows and polish the wheel and exhaust tips. Also vacuum it out and try to keep the seats clean and all. But, how about some tips on detailing that would benefit our members who aren't completely Up on the subject (like me)?

The INDIAN R/T Is In The Area!!!
[SIZE="3"][/bSIZE]Don't Forget To Show Your Support To The GPMM And Your Local Chapter! They Deserve It!
My Charger and I have something in common, we are BOTH getting alot of mileage!!!!! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 08:56 PM

Vehicle: 07 Charger SXT
Chapter: Fort Smith, AR.

And me!!!!!!

07 Torred SXT W/ tinted windows, spoiler, GPMM window decal, 255/55/18 NITTO 420S's, ORACLE H.O.D 6000K Xenon bulbs (Highs,Lows,& Fogs), Daytona style grill w/ honeycomb insert, PIAA Super silicone wipers, Tinted side markers, Polished BT Catch Can
Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical View Post
And me!!!!!!
There ya go, the interest has picked up already!

[SIZE="3"][/bSIZE]Don't Forget To Show Your Support To The GPMM And Your Local Chapter! They Deserve It!
My Charger and I have something in common, we are BOTH getting alot of mileage!!!!! LOL!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2010, 09:21 PM

Vehicle: Nopar
Chapter: Tulsa. OK

wash, rinse, repeat if nessesary..........lol
Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 PM
God of Thunder

Vehicle: 2012 SuperBee
Chapter: Lawton, OK
Send a message via AIM to ORNOT2B Send a message via MSN to ORNOT2B

Wash your car with Dawn to strip the wax.. Claybar your entire car and get yourself some Zaino wax. Its pricey and requires alittle elbow grease but I tell you what, it sure will make your paint do things that regular wax won't. after a few coats yuou really dont need to wax for another 6 months or so, just detail with the spray after a good washing. Also, do not use Dawn dishwashing detergent to wash your car after you do the zaino treatment because it strips the wax that you have on it.

Here is the link for the Zaino kit I have.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=ZKIT-1
Old 07-18-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo View Post
wash, rinse, repeat if nessesary..........lol

Smart Aleck Kids!

Old 07-18-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back N Black View Post
Wash your car with Dawn to strip the wax.. Claybar your entire car and get yourself some Zaino wax. Its pricey and requires alittle elbow grease but I tell you what, it sure will make your paint do things that regular wax won't. after a few coats yuou really dont need to wax for another 6 months or so, just detail with the spray after a good washing. Also, do not use Dawn dishwashing detergent to wash your car after you do the zaino treatment because it strips the wax that you have on it.

Here is the link for the Zaino kit I have.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ct_Code=ZKIT-1

Whoa! Now THAT sounds like Work! But, I ASKED for it, huh? Yeah, I sure did. I'm gonna have to see about that. Actually, THAT'S the kind of stuff I was talking about! Thank you Travis, for that input.

Keep it coming Folks!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 09 Dodge Challenger
Chapter: Wichita, KS

Here's some things I have come across:

1. Like Back N Black said, clay bar then wax. I use Mequire's products almost exclusively but heard good things about Zaino too.

2. 3M Imperial Hand Glaze instead of clay bar and waxing. Just found out about this stuff from a car show buddy. Tried it, simply awesome and rather simple to use. Water beads real nicely too. Got it at O'reilly's for about $27. Just apply with a micro-fiber towel, wipe off and polish with a clean micro-fiber....awesome shine. Reportedly after a few applications it will have gotten rid of the factory spider-webbing that tends to appear after a while.

3. Buy bunches and bunches of micro fiber towels...then buy some more. General purpose ones for interior and trim, etc... and detailing ones for your finish. You can also wash them for re-use relatively safely. I generally rotate them so the dirty ones are used on the rims to get that massive brake dust off. I'm sticking to the stock Brembo brakes as I will be racing my ride and don't want any brake fade, so I'll live with the dust.

4. Get some Mother's Back-to-Black or the Mequire's equivelant "Trim Restorer". I use it on all the exterior plastic trim and inside the wheel wells, makes everything look new and has a semi-gloss shine, comes close tp matching the finish shine.

5. I NEVER take it to any car wash of any kind. Once a week I use a spary bottle of water and a micro fiber detailing towel to get dust and road crud off then follow up with Mequires Quick Detailer (secret weapon, get alot of it). Every couple of months or so I give her a full bath, in the shade, and immediately take "Super Absorber" to it, even under the hood and trunk area where water builds. Dries water off completely and quickly. No water spots yet, anywhere.

6. I use Mequires Quik Interior stuff for inside. Doesn;t leave any kind of greasy residue or make every thing too shiney. I use saddle soap for the leather and follow up with Mequires leather wipes.

7. On exterior glass, Invisible Glass glass cleaner followed up with a completley dry micro fiber towel, never have any streaks. On the inside glass I just use a dry micro fiber towel. This stuff is also good for tinted windows. Another good idea I have tried, and it works, is get some of that cleaner for glass stove tops. Use the spray stuff, Wiedmanns I think is the brand. It does pretty good with getting water spots off glass as does straight up white distilled vinegar or rubbing alcohol.

8. Invest in some Weather Tech floor covers. They are custom made to fit your floor and keeps everything off your carpet. I take them out for shows and put in my "show and shine" floor mats (basically stock floor mats that say "Challenger" on them). I have also had plenty of compliments on how nice the Weather Tech covers look so leaving them in for shows probably won't hurt.

9. Don't use the tire gel, it will defnitely spray your quarter panels. I use the spray stuff on a sponge applicator then wipe off excess with a shop towel. I have had very very little splatter doing this.

10. Chrome polish (quess what...yep...Mequires) on my exhaust tips and on my door sills, which are chrome as well.

For Challenger owners, invest in some spalsh guards, they generally look like they belong there once installed properly. Also, when washing your car, you can turn your mirrors DOWNWARD to prevent pools of soapy water building up in them. Chargers, 300s and Magnums can't do this, I think it's only Challengers.

Last edited by SRT Steve; 07-18-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Challenger
Chapter: Springfield, MO

OK... here we go...

You only need to strip and wax your car once a year unless it's not garaged. A clay bar is very mildly abrasive, so using it on a frequent basis is not advisable or necessary.

Obviously, when you decide to wash your car, you'll want shade. Washing in direct sunlight leads to water spots. Here are the tools of the trade that I use:

car shampoo (not dish washing liquid unless you intend to clay bar)
wheel cleaner spray
detail spray
2 buckets
horsehair brush
boars hair wheel brush
bug sponge
water blade
microfiber towels
tire dressing
window cleaner
stainless steel polish

Fill both buckets 3/4 full of water. Then add the car shampoo (this prevents excess foaming). The first bucket is for your wheels, the 2nd for the paint. If your wheels are really dirty with brake dust, use a wheel cleaner that is safe for the kind of wheels you have. Otherwise, use the car shampoo. Using the boars hair wheel brush (www.adamspolishes.com), wash your wheels and tires first. If you wash the car first, the car will be waterspotting while you wash the wheels.

Next, wash the car. I start by using the bug sponge to get the bugs off the front end and the windshield and mirrors. Use plenty of soapy water and a light touch, and you won't scratch your paint. Then start from the top down with the horsehair brush. I prefer a horsehair brush because it's safer for your paint and because it's size cuts down on washing time. Keep it very wet and full of suds. I divide the car into 4 sections (top surfaces, front, rear, sides) and rinse as I go. You'll get soap and water on the wheels, just rinse them as you go. I don't like wash mitts or towels, and never, ever let a diaper or t-shirt near your car. Ban them from your garage. On some tight areas, like under the spoiler on my Charger where the horsehair brush won't fit, I use a sponge. But I don't like using a sponge for the entire car.

For drying, I use a water blade on the horizontal surfaces. Some people don't like them, and I wouldn't use one on a black car, but I've used it for 4 years on my Charger without any problems (even on my satin black hood. Just get a quality blade and use a light touch. As an optional next step, I use a blower made for car use to blow all the water out of the grille, door handles, body seams, etc. Then use microfiber towels to dry the car. Keep them folded over at least once and use a light touch. Spritz some detail spray on the car as you dry to give some gloss and fight any water spots. Anytime you are doing anything to your car, use a light touch. Let the product do the work. If a microfiber towel hits the ground, I discard it and get a fresh one. Do the wheels, tires, exhaust tips last.

A note on microfiber towels: wash them separately of any other wash items, use only liquid detergent, and go for the 2nd rinse cycle. Dry them separately as well. They can be nappy, and will pick up fibers from other fabrics if they are not kept segregated.

After drying, the windows are next. My favorite window cleaner is Spray Way, available at Wal-Mart, K-mart, etc. It's cheap and does a great job, no streaking. Use microfiber towels for the windows as well.

Dry the wheels and exhaust tips last. For tire dressing. as well as for the interior, I use the vinyl and rubber dressing from Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com). It leaves a non-shiny finish and contains no petrochemicals, so it won't turn your tires brown and crack your interior trim. To apply the tire dressing, I bought a bag of cheap terry towels from Sam's Club. Spray the dressing on the towel and wipe the tires, do not spray on the tires directly. Dressing your tires will turn them black, and the female types get really upset when you throw black towels in their washing machines, so I usually keep them in the plastic trash can I use for dirty towels until I get a bunch, then wash them separately (and clean the washing machine out when I'm done).

If you have exhaust tips, don't forget them. It amuses me to see a nicely detailed car with dirty exhaust tips. Don't be that lazy. If they're chrome, use a quality chrome polish. Mine are stainless, and I like the stainless polish from Borla (www.borla.com). Use a microfiber towel on the tips.

Rinse your buckets and brushes out thoroughly, put the dirty towels in the can, and you're done! And you'll have a sparkling clean car. Any questions, ask away.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:40 AM

Whoa, now THERE is TONS of info! Thanks Travis, Steve and Jon. Now, IF I can just keep my energy level up to put this info into use. Next time I'm at a show, I still might not have near the Mods, BUT she sure ought to be looking good!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Great PlainZ Modern Mopars forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle?
What Mopar vehicle do you own?
Chapter Affiliation?
Which Chapter do you belong to? Select from the list!
Why do you want to join GPMM?
Please give us the reason you would like to join our club. This information will be reviewed, and verified with the person who referred you. Then your membership will be approved. If it can not be verified, your account will be deleted. Do not forget to enter the member name of the person who referred you to DSM below!
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.